Creditor Harassment Attorney in Houston
Many Houston residents have been affected by the downturn in the economy and have fallen behind on their debt payments. Whether it has been caused by a job loss, unexpected medical bills, divorce or any other situation, the fact remains that you may be facing constant calling by creditors and collection agencies attempting to collect their debt. You may have tried to handle them yourself, to no avail. If you find yourself feeling frustrated, angry and worried about your debt situation, a Houston creditor harassment attorney may be able to help.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits certain debt collectors from engaging in abusive behavior. Although it does not cover collection tactics employed by original creditors, such as a credit card, it does protect you against the harassment of a third-party debt collector such as a collection agency. Most often the abusive practices stem from these third-parties rather than the original creditor, as they are paid only on results.
Abusive practices prohibited by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act that should be reported include:
- Calling you repeatedly or contacting you before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Failing to identify themselves as bill collectors.
- Contacting you at work if your employer prohibits it.
- Claiming that you'll be imprisoned or your property will be seized.
- Using obscene language.
- Using or threatening to use violence.
- Claiming you owe more than you do.
- Claiming to be attorneys when they are not.
- Sending you a paper that resembles a legal document.
- Adding unauthorized interest, fees, or charges.
- Advising your employer for other third parties that you owe a debt.
- Contacting third parties, other than your attorney, a credit reporting bureau, or the original creditor.
Creditor Harassment and Bankruptcy in Houston
Getting behind on your bills can be very stressful, but getting the creditor harassment can be even worse. Your best option in dealing with creditors is to retain an attorney to handle the situation for you. When your creditors are informed that you have an attorney who is representing you, all harassment and calls will cease. By law, they must now direct their calls to our office. Our legal team includes 7 attorneys who focus only on bankruptcy law, and a staff of 50 highly trained staff throughout our Texas offices. With these kind of resources, you can feel confident your needs will be well taken care of. Stop the creditor call right now; contact our firm to have us take care of the problem.
Stop your creditor calls! Contact a Houston Bankruptcy Lawyer at our firm.